What We Do
Transforming how young people plug into their worlds
What We Do
Youthtown is a place where you feel like you can be the very best version of yourself, for yourself, on your terms. Every programme we run works towards the aim of seeing empowered young people engaged in their communities.
We run programmes and programme spaces across the country for 5-18 year-olds that aim to inspire and promote the learning of life skills, working collaboratively, understanding and building resilience and unlocking potential.
Youthtown programmes are delivered before, during and after school and also in the school holidays in a huge range of locations and situations. We run events, project groups, workshops, youth hubs and camps and tramps too!
We work with young people, parents and caregivers, schools and community groups: you can find us in key communities right across the country.
Activities At Youthtown
The kinds of activities you can expect from us are (but not limited to):
- Life Skills: From cooking up a storm to and self-management skills to getting your learner's licence
- Science and Technology: From experiments to robots to engineering - STEAM is the dream!
- Outdoors and Environment: Camps, tramps, EOTC, water sports, Adventure-Based Learning
- Creative Arts: Dance, drama, arts and crafts, music, textiles, performance, film and media
- Sport: Anything and everything that involves being active and staying active!
- Wellbeing: Space to chill out, workshops, mindfulness and self-care education
We run bespoke programmes in many communities, check out what's happening in your area for more details.
How We Do It
Everything we do at Youthtown is designed using our Youthtown Curriculum. It's our guide, filter, inspiration and it's a living thing that grows every time we learn something new!
You can find out a bit more on our curriculum and how it connects to the NZ Curriculum here.
In everything we do, we are intentional: we plan for outcomes, deliver our programmes for outcomes, and evaluate and review for outcomes.
We operate in a way that is proactive, preventative and powerfully positive. Youthtown's safe practice is guided by the Code of Ethics For Youth Work in Aotearoa New Zealand.
We love the Mana Taiohi framework for those working towards youth development, and we celebrate the journey that the Native American and First Nations Circle of Courage model is undertaking through Lloyd Martin's work on the Pacific-centred "Circle of Mana".