2 Youthtown Board Members Wanted
Youthtown Inc.’s vision is "All young people in Aotearoa are empowered to be the best they can be".
Youthtown Inc. is a not for profit, nationwide youth development organisation that delivers outcomes- based programmes to develop the skills and knowledge of young people aged 5-18. Programmes include Oscar (After School and Holidays), Sport, Cultural, Outdoors and Youth activities. Our curriculum is built around learning specific life skills, working collaboratively, building resilience and aiming to unlock the potential of every young person we interact with. Our outcomes are measurable, designed to ensure impact and intentional engagement through connection.
Our organisation has been established for over 80 years and continues to grow in targeted communities across New Zealand, enabling us to be more accessible to young people than ever before. We have ambitious plans to further expand our programmes and we are investing more in technology as an enabler for efficient systems and processes. We also continue to seek alternative funding sources (more Government funding through formal programmes; philanthropy, tapping into Alumni etc.), to reduce our reliance on gaming revenue over time.
As part of the organisation, Youthtown Inc. manages a gaming operation, which holds a Class 4 Operators Licence under the Gambling Act 2003. More information can be found on www.youthtown.org.nz and www.youthtownfunding.org.nz
The Board meets 8 times a year as a full Board, for approximately 2 – 2 ½ hours. Every second meeting, the agenda has more of a strategic focus, and once or twice a year, we will have a ½ day, more in depth & strategically focused conversation. There are Board sub-committees (Finance & Risk – 1 hour per month, Grants – 1 hour per month, CEO performance – 1 hour per quarter, Investment – as required), which various Board members contribute to. Preparation time will vary, depending on sub-committee involvement, but it would normally be between 3-5 hours per month.
Joining the Youthtown Board will give new Board members the opportunity to contribute to the future direction of New Zealand’s best youth development organisation. Youthtown is a vibrant organisation, with lots of energy, talented staff and enthusiasm to do great things and make a difference in young people’s lives and their futures.
The Board wishes to appoint 2 Board members with an emphasis on the following competencies:
- Experience of working in the youth development sector with involvement in the development of policies, programmes and evaluation of outcomes that supports a strategic understanding of youth development
- Marketing experience, and in particular, the use of digital technology to enable the reach and delivery of programmes
- Either significant financial accounting & management skills or experience in managing a successful business, with a high level of financial literacy
- A good working knowledge of legal, risk and compliance issues
- Significant experience of working in diverse and inclusive workplaces with growth-oriented organisational cultures
- Proven track record in leveraging business and other networks to achieve strategic outcomes for Not For Profit organisations
- An understanding of partnerships and community collaboration in the youth services sector
- Previous governance experience is preferred
We are keen to have a candidate selected by late-May 2020, run an induction process and have the new Board member attend their first Board meeting in June.
To apply for the role, please contact Youthtown’s HR Manager, Jannine Mullany, at email@example.com and she will provide you with further details on the application process.
Applications close on Friday 22nd May 2020.
For more information about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ross Pearce on 021 661 352.